The Laurie Lawson property was the first property under the care of the Northumberland Land Trust – as announced on December 7th, 2005.
Location: Northumberland County, Hamilton Township, Lot 24, Concession 2 (S.part)
Size: 100 acres or 42 hectares.
History: A Mr. Donaldson was owner of the property in 1878. Subsequently it passed through the hands of several owners until purchased by the late Dr. Laurie Lawson. In 1968 he offered the site to the local Cobourg School Board for use as an Outdoor Education Centre. Initially four Cobourg schools made use of it working out of a large loaned C.O.D. tent erected by army personnel.
With the advent of nine regional school boards, a re-organization effort by the Ministry of Education in 1969, its usage was suddenly desired by 29 local Central Area schools of the new United Counties Board. Thus a building was built in partnership with technical students of CDCIE.
By 2005, 35 years later, approximately 125,000 student visits from elementary, secondary and special needs classes have utilized the centre accompanied by their school staff and numerous parent volunteers.
Dr. Mary Bedford-Jones and her husband, the late Mr. Bill Goodwin took over the property following Dr. Lawson’s death in 1983. Dr. Bedford-Jones, the current owner, would like to continue the preservation of this area.
As mentioned in the History above, there is a building on the property used as an Educational classroom. It has been and will continue to be used by local students to learn about forest management, geography and ecology.
Details: A number of documents are available that describe this property more fully – you can download them from the following list: